THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. PLEASE READ MY DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.
When I started my site a little over a month ago, I had no idea of the amount of work I was in for. I knew that there would be some setting up involved, but I didn’t realize how much. KindofAdulting isn’t my first blog, but it is the first blog that I paid to launch and have invested money into.
Here are 5 things I’ve learned in my first month of blogging:
1. It’s a slow process. I’m really proud of the progress that I have made in my first month, but I have a long way to go in order to get to my “just working on posts and maintenance” on my blog. I’ve also learned how to balance everything to not be as overwhelmed, considering I’m working full-time, in grad school, am a homeowner, and am planning (and attending) multiple weddings.
2. Sometimes you need to invest in order to make money. I have purchased a few things in the past month to help my blogging. I took a course with Start A Mom Blog, bought the Find Your Tribe ebook from Women Winning Online, bought a year of PicMonkey, and recently signed up for BoardBooster ($5) a month plan. All of this on top of buying my domain. While I haven’t seen a return on my investments yet, I hope to be making money soon. I am also looking into another course that I could take to help me grow in money-making. I joined Amazon Affiliates and while I’m just doing the basics right now, I love the idea that I am already starting the process of maybe making money someday. All of these products I will do a post on in the future.
3. As an introvert, I love the community online. I’ve already talked to a few people one on one through blogging communities online! I love that I can talk to people and bond while I’m at home and it’s like texting. It’s great. The blogging community is so supportive and it’s great to know I’m not alone out there in the world.
4. I actually learned a lot from my myspace days. Everyone remember those days? I was one of those people who was always updating my profile and loved HTML. I actually took a web page design class in high school but never really thought about pursuing it because I was pretty much set on wanting to be a teacher. I love that I am able to tap into long-lost skills that I really enjoyed doing.
5. I LOVE blogging. I knew that I liked blogging, but I really forgot how much I love running a website and everything it entails. I love working on a website, editing pictures, putting together links and collages, the whole thing. I don’t mind working on my blog at all, in fact, I prefer it to doing most things I loved doing (sometimes even more than napping!) I’m the kind of person who loves to do things while watching TV, and blogging is the best thing to do while watching TV. It keeps me busy and productive while also relaxing.
What are my goals for month 2? Keep up the blogging. I want to post once a week on Thursdays my really intensive posts and hopefully incorporate one fun post on Monday or Tuesday. I would love to grow my email list, and start actually making money from my blog (even if it’s $1!)
If you’re thinking of starting a blog: JUST DO IT. I know I sound like Shia Lebouf, but really… don’t wait. If you’ve been thinking about it for so long, clearly you’re going to do it eventually, so just do it now. You won’t regret it I promise!
Disclosure: There are some affiliate links above, but these are all products I highly recommend. I won’t put anything on this page that I haven’t verified and/or personally used.” KindofAdulting.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.”